RESOURCES FOR HELPING TO DEAL WITH SCHOOL TRAGEDY
Shared by the Connecticut Association of Schools (CAS)
The Connecticut Association of Schools is deeply saddened by the tragic events that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School. We offer our deepest sympathies to the families of the victims and are keeping the entire Newtown community in our thoughts and prayers.
Such a horrific event impacts schools, families and students everywhere. CAS offers the following resources which may be of help:
- Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers
National Association of School Psychologists
- Helping Young Children Cope With Trauma
American Red Cross
- Helping Kids During Crisis
American School Counselor Association
- Talking to Children about Community Violence
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Talking with Kids About News
- "Helping Children Cope With Tragedy"
Report to Parents
- "Coping With Loss"
Principal magazine article
- "A Death in the Family"
- National Association of School Psychologists Website